Sunday, October 17, 2010

Three Sisters Chili



Three Sisters Chili

3 cups beans, (pinto, kidney, navy, garbanzo, etc.) precooked or canned (drained and rinsed)
Olive oil
1 red onion, sliced or diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
2 cups butternut or acorn squash, cooked, cooled, and cubed
1 cup corn
1 cup tomato paste
2 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsps. chili powder
1 Tbsp. oregano

Place beans in a large Dutch Oven or heavy pot.  In a large frying pan with olive oil, cook the red onion, garlic, and celery until tender.  Add to Dutch oven.  Add squash, corn and tomato paste.  Stir in enough water to cover.  Add seasonings and salt and pepper to taste.  Bring to a boil, then cook uncovered for about 2 hours on low heat, stirring occasionally, and adding more water if needed to keep from sticking to bottom.  This chili is even better the second day.  For an authentic touch, serve with corn bread or corn fritters.

~Nancy Bennett~
Source:  Llewellyn's Witches Datebook 2010

I've not tried this recipe yet, but plan to.  The squash I think will sweeten it up as I like a sweet-hot chili.  I usually add brown or white sugar to my chili and leave out the corn, as well as add browned, ground sirloin.  To each his own though!

With the temps changing now, Chili can be a welcome lunch or dinner...I'm an old die-hard that eats it year round.  The wonderful thing about Chili is that it is a meal unto itself and it enhances its flavor as it sits in your refrigerator.
I love it with a hot, crusty bread rather than cornbread.  Or you could make some homemade soda crackers...that would definitely be yummy!
Just do a search for a recipe for them as they are all different, and we all like different kinds...and it is quite the job to make them!

Speaking of cooler temps...I am welcoming the change!  The leaves are really changing and dropping here this week.  Today I think we have a high of the mid fifties and I am loving it!  The birds are flocking up at different times of the day and even their flying antics are different.  It won't be long and we will have a time change...November 7th I believe, and then it will be dark early.  Some of us like that (myself) and some of us don't.  I like that going into the cave to hibernate feeling...a time of sitting in the stillness and listening to your own spirit and that of The Ancient Mother.

Well, here's wishing for you a Sunday filled with all things Lovely and Seasonal...falling leaves, pumpkins, decorating for Halloween or readying your Samhain Altars, and baking or cooking all of those luscious root vege's, etc...
I am off to enjoy my day...

Touch Mother Earth today and tell Her how much you Love Her!
She needs our love and our protections from harm to Her...and if you feel so inclined. head to Her Waters and send Blessings and Healings into them!

All My Love!



6 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

I get good vibes from this blog. Thanks for inviting me.
Mary

the wild magnolia said...

The chili is warm and inviting! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Lovely blog!

AkasaWolfSong said...

Thanks Mary! I'm so glad you came! :)

AkasaWolfSong said...

Thank You Magnolia...I went looking for your blog but didn't see one? I'd love to connect with you...

Blessings of October to you!

TickleTeckla said...

I just found your blog today! I love it. This recipe sounds quite yummy :D

AkasaWolfSong said...

Thank You Tickle Teckla! I just started this blog...you've been to my other blog...HeartSongs...it was when The Gulf Oil Spill occured and we all were trying to find a way to help...I had posted your video of Meet Us At The Water...

So good of you to connect with me here! Welcome and make yourself at home...
Blessings of Peace,