Here's wishing for all of you, no matter where you lay your head this night, a night of safety, a sweet sacredness, love and light of the "One" who calls Himself/Herself to your inner heart's knowing, and a prayer of grace for the moments we are experiencing in the history of our country at this time...we are the ones we have been waiting for, and I wish you all deep abiding love.
As for Samhain, Halloween, it has been a day of busy activity here...it began in the wee hours of the morning with a phone call from my grandson Firekeeper and a talk with his Momma...he's been a pretty sick guy for the past two weeks...I don't need to go into detail, but it hasn't been at all good nor pleasant and to top it all off then, in the middle of the night he's broken out into hives along with every thing else. So this morning after instructing my daughter how to deal with hives until the morning light this morning, she packed up Firekeeper and off she went to the E.R. because she couldn't get through to my grandson's doctor. They are just now finishing up and found out he was allergic to a med they had put him on. He's had three shots, been given another prescription, and instructions along with some other over the counter meds and they'll soon be picking up his little sister from school and then back over here before heading off to home. I don't know how much trick or treating will be done this evening but I hope he takes it easy. He's missed several days of school and I don't want to see him any sicker. So....long story short, we've been having a time of it in our family but moving forward, here is what I gave the grands for Halloween...books, not just any books but scary books, and loaves of banana bread that just came out of the oven and are on the counter cooling. I did not want to hand out candy to them! I know...the old witchy curmudgeon, lol, but that is what they are getting. I found two delightful books at the library sale a few weeks back and snatched them up. One is "Little Orphant Annie", and the other was "The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything." Now mind you, "Little Orphant Annie" was a story/poem that I grew up on and I just couldn't resist passing it on to them. So early this morning, I sat down and wrote out how I came to hear this delightfully scary story and who told it in our family...and did it in a card that I had made for them...along with another card about being courageous in the face of fear to accompany the other story of "The Little Old Lady..."
I leave you today with the story/poem of "Little Orphant Annie"...and can still hear my "Uncle Bill" in his raspy voice, as his daughters and several of my female cousins gathered under the covers late at night, while we listened to him spin this story...not once, oh no! Sometimes it would be over and over again, until we couldn't stand it any more and the nervous giggles of young girls would begin, (and none of us would admit being a scaredy cat!).
Do you have any scary stories that are traditional in your family? Share them with us! Let us all be frightfully scared on this night when the spirits roam and howl, the black cats shriek, the wind whistling through the eaves, and the leaves dancing in whirling dervishes on the streets, and we must not forget the spooky pumkins carved and lining the porches and drives where little children shall be collecting their long-awaited treats...with perhaps a ghost or witch or some other equally scary spirit handing them out....OH! This is the season of the witch! Buwahahahahahahahaha!
Sending each of you love and hugs from the land of naked trees, and roaming spirits...
Akasa
Little Orphant Annie's
come to our house to stay,
An' wash the cups an' saucers up,
an' brush the crumbs away.
An' shoo the chickens off the porch,
an' dust the hearth, an sweep,
An' make the fire, an' bake the bread,
an' earn her board-an'-keep;
An' all us other childern,
when the supper things is done,
We set around the kitchen fire
an' has the mostest fun
A-list'nin' to the witch-tales
'at Annie tells about,
An' the Gobble-uns 'at gits you
EF YOU
DON'T
WATCH
OUT!
Onc't they was a little boy
wouldn't say his prayers-
So when he went to bed at night,
away up stairs,
His Mammy heerd him holler,
an' his Daddy heerd him bawl,
An' when they turn't the kivvers down,
HE WASN'T THERE AT ALL!
An' they seeked him in the rafter-room,
an' cubby-hole, an' press,
An seeked him up the chimbly-flue,
an' ever'wheres, I guess;
But all they ever found was thist
his pants an' roundabout-
An' the Gobble-uns'll git you
EF YOU
DON'T
WATCH
OUT!
An' one time a little girl
'ud allus laugh an' grin,
An' make fun of ever'one,
an' all her blood an' kin;
An' onc't, when they was "company,"
an' old folks was there,
She mocked 'em an' shocked 'em,
an' said she didn't care!
An' thist as she kicked her heels,
an' turn't to run an' hide,
They was two great big Black Things
a-standin' by her side,
An' they snatched her through the ceilin'
'fore she knowed what she's about!
An' the Gobble-uns'll git you
EF YOU
DON'T
WATCH
OUT!
An' little Orphant Annie says,
when the blaze is blue,
An' the lamp-wick sputters,
an' the wind goes woo-oo!
An' you hear the crickets quit,
an' the moon is gray,
An' the lightnin'-bugs in dew
is all squenched away-
You better mind yer parents,
an' yer teachers fond an' dear,
An' churish them 'at loves you,
an' dry the orphant's tear,
An' he'p the pore an' needy ones
'at clusters all about,
Er the Gobble-uns'll git YOU
Ef You
Don't
Watch
Out!
~James Whitcomb Riley~
|


4 comments:
Blessed Samhain...wishing you all good health, peace, and a good night's sleep!
Sending hopeful thoughts that Firekeeper gets healthy and fine very soon.
Never have I seen this Little Orphant Annie poem. Quite scary...boo!
Enjoy the Night, be blessed and safe.
Samhain Blessings.
A blessed Samhain to you as well dear friend. Here is hoping your grand gets to feeling better quickly..... a good whiff of that warm banana bread would probably not hurt....
Happy and Blessed Samhain dearest friend. Thank you for the well wishing and poem...scary..I loved it.
May the days ahead for you and family be filled with healing restorations and peace.
We are back in Florida, Jacksonville, leaving Friday for Lakeland.
Have sweet rest and blessings of all kinds.
Post a Comment