Welcome, Welcome Sister October!!!
So many things we welcome in, in this new month of October...a time of laying things to rest for the cold and winter months coming, a bringing in of harvest,
the time to ready our homes for the cold rain and snows ahead of us...but it is also a time of festival and ceremony or ritual. Those of us who are in sync
with Grandmother Moon tune into our lunar intuition and heart, as we listen intently with our spirits to glean what She would have us to know, as well as carry forward into our lives.
I had never heard of St. Luke's Summer which is recognized on October 18th. It is much like Indian Summer, and is a time of fine, clear, weather, whereby one may have a few days for last minute gathering in of harvest.
We celebrate Full Hunter's Moon.
We celebrate Halloween.
We celebrate Samhain.
We honor our Ancestors who've gone on before us and for me this is going to be especially poignant this year, with so many of my friends and loved ones recently passing in the past year.
Are there any particular days that you honor or celebrate in this month? How do you honor or celebrate them?
The weekend was totally gorgeous here in Southern Wisconsin, and I spent a goodly amount of time outside enjoying the Earth Mother and her inhabitants. The resident Rabbit and her young continue to come and intrigue me and she has gotten quite used to me being out in the yard with her. I spotted a tree toad under the deck yesterday and tried to follow it but it was elusive. I haven't seen the Hummer recently so I'm guessing it has taken off for the winter. Fly on my little friend and safe journey to you...please come back next year!
The white cabbage butterflies still flit about they yard and come to feed on the beautiful seedum I have which has big purpley/pink flowers on it. As well, the bees are still active during the day. I did spot a Robin still here the other day and some do winter over in Wisconsin, but I imagine soon they will all be flying south.
The last of the raspberry canes have been pruned back and are ready to rest for the winter. My how they've grown and proliferated in just two years! (maybe that is three, I'm a little fuzzy on that one) and this week everything that I've not gotten accomplished outside will be finished up. I love these cool, sunny days and crisp, chilly nights. 'Tis my time of year and I also happen to love winter.
The leaves on the trees, bushes and other plants are really starting to turn now...and one of these days I'll have to take a ride to see the colors. So...what is it looking like where you live? Are you ready for the coming months ahead? Have you gotten everything ready? Life is busy, isn't it?
I leave you today with this beautiful video and a wish for you...that your harvest bounty is abundant in all ways, and that you are enjoying your time spent in celebration of life.
I love you,
Akasa
P.S.The video wouldn't come through for me today so I posted it above, in a separate post...I don't know how to use this new blogger format yet! *sigh*
6 comments:
My favorite time of the year. I'm already looking at masks to wear at work. I'm the only one who really dresses at work for Halloween. Imagine that. The oldest is really the youngest at heart.
Mary
Not sure of the exact date but our church always celebrates the feast day of St. Luke, for whom we are named. I think it's around the 18th. There must be a connection.
It's been glorious, tho out of the ordinary weather for the week we've been in Seattle. Cool mornings, warm sunny days, cool evenings. Think if I lived here I wouldn't be so catatonic all the time. Maybe that's just wishful thinking! Love the tall evergreen trees. Spent time driving around apple orchards today.
Very nice visit, but looking forward to getting home.
m
A wonderful sharing of October and the turning wheel. Yes life is busy and interesting of your outdoor Autumn goings on. We gather in before winter strips the trees and pares down our lives.
I feel more like paying attention when nature turns soft and comforting with the leaves the color of spices.
Thank you for sharing. I become more flexible in Fall.
There is so much to celebrate this time of year. I had never heard of St. Luke's Summer either, but I love Indian Summer. I love to honor holidays and rituals of other cultures and beliefs. I love to add to my honoring of things.
We had a full rainy day in to the evening. The clouds and fog hugging the mountain and the sounds of rain on the RV. I am in love with these mountains.
Take care of you dearest sister of wild things....
Ahhh....October is my favorite month,which is why I schedule a week off from work in teh middle of the month (why be off in nasty hot July when I can revel in the joys of October). Thank you for this celebration of this mysterious month...and enjoy!
Akasa, I have been so preoccupied with life and work that I haven't made it around to the blogs I love so much. I came here today and I am once again pulled into the beauty you share. Thank you dear Sister of Light...xoxo
I love you...I do! You feed my soul...I MUST return more often...knowing you are in the world makes it a better place for me.
Post a Comment