Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Zucchini, Zucchini, Zucchini!

As summer gardens are in their full harvesting mode about now, I imagine Zucchini picking is at its height...

I know I've had Zucchini on the brain for days now and with not having planted any I am really wishing I had.  Not to fear though as the roadside stand up the road is usually full of this versatile vegetable.  Perhaps I'll get those breads, cakes, and cupcakes baked after all, not to mention a few other delectibles.

I thought I'd post a few recipes to pass around.
These are from our local community shopping

news which is just a little publication, but has a huge readership.  The food column is written by Lynn Green and I've tried many of her recipes over the years and had excellent results with all of them...I've even variated some of her recipes.  I don't know if these are her personal recipes or someone else's.

Zucchini and Corn Pancakes

Makes 8 cakes

2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup cooked corn
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
1 egg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Olive oil for frying
(not sure why she has egg twice in this recipe?)

  Combine all ingredients, except olive oil, in a bowl, and mix thoroughly.
Using a heaping tablespoon, form the mixture into 8 patties.
  Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.  Once heated, add patties and
cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.  Serve with a bit of
yogurt or sour cream.

I think this would be a good side dish in an early evening summer supper!
Lynne says these are good for breakfast.



Zucchini Muffins

  This recipe is originally from the Taste of Home magazine, where it
received five out of five stars.  I added the lemon juice because I think this helps to keep the color a bit better.  This is a nice recipe because it makes a small batch, yielding 6 muffins.




3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup dried currants or chopped raisins

  In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients.  Combine the egg, oil, and lemon juice; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Fold in the zucchini, walnuts, and currents.
  Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths
full with batter.  Bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpic comes out clean.  Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

A gardening hint from me to you....now is the time to be planting all those bulbs you want to see come up in the spring...you know, daffodils, tulips,
crocuses, grape hyacinths, and snowdrops?

Here's Wishing You a Delightful Day in the Garden...
Many Blessings on the Gentle Winds to You!
A'HO!


3 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

Zucchini has never been one of my favorites, but those muffins sure do look good. Worth a try. I'm going to save the recipe if you don't mind and make a batch for work...as soon as it cools enough to use my oven.
Mary

the wild magnolia said...

I love zucchini! I have a delicious casserole recipe. I love the cakes and muffins.

Thanks for sharing these.

Everywhere I read, our sister bloggers, are moving on into fall. I love it.

Blessings!

On Fragile Wings said...

Akasa, those recipes sound delicious and with fall coming soon, I shall start baking once again.

The muffins sound irresistable. I am also looking for a recipe for zuchini bread.

mmmmmmmmmmmm
\
hugs and love sweet sister
xoxoxoxoxox