May the blessing of the rain be upon you -
the soft sweet rain.
May it fall upon your spirit
so that all the little flowers may spring up,
and shed their sweetness on the air.
May the blessings of the great rains be on you,
may they beat upon your spirit
and wash it fair and clean,
and leave there a shining pool
where the blue of heaven shines
I've been up a good little while now...
First thing I thought of upon waking was
today would have been my Mom's Birthday.
Yes, she was born on March 17th.
I then began to talk quietly with her,
telling her I love her and wishing
she was here to celebrate her birthday
with me. I also shared I miss her
as much today as I ever did and maybe
even more so.
Now, I've a candle lit in her honor...
the scent of Fresh Linen wafting
through my one great room.
She always smelled so fresh and clean.
I remember that about her more than
anything I think...I loved her smell.
I miss that. I also miss her terrific
cooking, her smile, her lilting laughter,
her beautiful singing voice.
Today I will not think of her troubled
life...why at 30 she died too young.
Instead I will walk gently into this morning
with the rain softly falling,
leaving its blessing upon Mother Earth's
sacred land, upon my home and my spirit,
upon the singing birds I hear outside
my windows...and I will choose to gently
hold her in my heart's song...
Happy Birthday Mommy!
I was also thinking of the fact that I
cannot even fathom having a shared
talk with my Mom over tea/coffee,
speaking as two adult women,
hopefully friends and sisters in the heart,
I can imagine how proud she would be
of my children, her great grandchildren,
and how she might feel about me naming
my daughter after her. I think of oh,
things like what she would think
of women today versus our status
in the sixties, and a million things
more. Mostly though, I'd just like to
look in those deep brown pools, her eyes,
once again and smell her cleanliness
as she gently or hurriedly moved
through a room.
Can you feel my wistfulness?
It's alright...everthing is going to be
amazing today...after all,
we started out with a good old
Irish Blessing Rain!
May the Rain fall softly and gently
wherever you are today.
May it leave a shining pool where
the blue of heaven shines
and sometimes a star.
A'HO!
A'HO!


4 comments:
~one thing i have to say is these irish have a beautiful way with words...thank you for sharing this blessing with us...and your memeories of your mother...hold onto them...remember the wonderful moments and nothing more...i can only imagine how much of a yearning desire you carry to have just a few more minutes with her...life is full of the unknowns and can be so unfair and unjust...happy birthday to your mother...i wish your heart to be filled with love this day...much love light and blessings~
Thank you for sharing this with us. Such a beautiful blessing. I can identify with you about missing your mom. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her. May your day be filled with peace and serenity.
Mary
thank you for the Blessing of the Rain....i wish the same for you. the photo is perfect.
the tribute to your Mom is like a conversation. i believe those gone can at least "feel" things about us.
my Mom is gone too, and my Aunt that raised me too.
today is Molly Gael's first birthday.
dear sweet soul....happy birthday memory to your Mom.
((hugs))
A wonderful blessing and so needed now. Winter's snows cover up so much but now that it has melted away we need those cleansing rains. May we all dance in the rain.
You words honor your mother and her memory. I know my loved ones are with me, but to not have the physical connection is still hard. Becuase of the hard time your mother went through, I'm sure she wishes nothing more than peace and love for her wise and strong daughter.
Peace be with you and your memories tonight.
Post a Comment