Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Silent Night....



Good Morning Everyone!

I've been sitting here listening to Yule Videos on You Tube
this morning and thought I'd post some of them I love to
listen to.  I hope you enjoy them!  I will try to post one
each day.  This one is a Wiccan version of Silent Night.

The history of Silent Night can be read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Night

Many Years ago when my children were small, I had moved
to the state of Oregon to escape a very abusive situation
with my children's father.   I arrived there at the end of
summer, stayed with my sister for a while, and then eventually
had gotten my own little house in a small town - Gaston -
and it was there that this song became significant to me.

Christmas came along that year and I didn't have much money
to buy gifts with...$67.00 as I recall, and yes, I still remember
that amount, but I did the very best I could for my young ones.
They were three and four at the time and all I could think of
was making a happy time for them as we celebrated Christmas
back then.  I had no idea at that time of my life I would be
brought to a different belief system in my later years.  However,
somehow, someone turned my name in for receiving some
Christmas Food Baskets.  Not only did I receive one but two!
During that time, the Mormon Church-Jesus Christ of Latter Day
Saints sent an older Grandma to come and visit me.  She was
such a sweet old woman and I loved her instantly.  She didn't
sit and preach to me about her belief system, she just wanted
to know if there was anything my children could use for the
winter months, how we were doing, and all the while she was
talking with me, she'd call first my son and then my daughter
over to her, and measure there heads and hands.  I couldn't
for the life of me figure out what she was doing!  :)  So...in one
of those Christmas Food Baskets, I received from this kindly old
woman a hat for each child and mittens too, that she had knitted
herself and stuck in the box, along with a few small toys.  I tell
you my heart was on the floor.  I'm sitting here with tears in my
eyes as I type this out, because I've never forgotten her kindness
towards me and my children.

I lived across the street from a beautiful Old Church that was
situated on an old logging street, where the logging trucks
would come down it and you'd swear they were going to come
right through the front of the house.  On Christmas eve, I was
feeling very melancholy and for some reason, I'd stand at my
picture window and peer out at that Church and I longed to be
back home again, around family and friends, but I was still afraid
of my ex so I was tuffing it out, trying to remain strong and calm
in front of children can be difficult at times but I was doing it.
I got busy and was doing something with my children when there
came a knock at my door.  When I opened the door there stood
five men and they very quietly, and reverantly, began to sing
the Christian version of Silent Night...and I must admit it has
always been my favorite Christmas song.  I was so amazed at
what was happening, I began to cry, and the scene behind these
men, was that of the Old Church, across the street.  It was like
something from an old movie you'd watch and it was happening
to me and my children.  I only had two dollars left in my pocket
but I gladly gave it to them in their donation can.  The Pastor
told me Thank You when the song ended, said I'd be blessed
for my contribution to help those in need, and off they walked
still singing.  The next morning when I opened the door there
was the box with the mittens, hats, food and toys.  I cried
like a baby.  I had been blessed, through the kindness of
strangers.   So....yeah, this song holds much significance for
me, be it Wiccan version, Christian version, whatever version,
the messages they bring to my heart are held there with fond
memories as well as the Return of the Light, The Christed Child,
Winter Solstice.  It is all Love no matter how you slice it.

Here's wishing for you a Silent Night in your own life...may you
always be blessed!  :)

3 comments:

On Fragile Wings said...

I have a similar story of a first Christmas spent starting a new life for me and the children.

It is miraculous how the universe provides. We had nothing, not even beds to sleep in.

The previous tenant left one double bed on the floor in the living room and that is where we slept.

Someone put our names in for a food basket with a turkey and all the trimmings.

We now had a place 0f shelter, a bed, a meal and we were all together.

I love the words to the Wiccan Silent night.

hugs and love sweet sister

It has just started to snow here...

our first snow

Merry ME said...

This is a true Christmas story. Thank you for sharing it. I especially love how you continue to share the gifts you were given that Christmas.

Vivienne Moss said...

What a beautiful story. I am now a single mom and this is going to be a small Christmas. We recieved a food basket for Thanksgiving and it was wonderful. I am so happy to have met you and now I know that you were a single mom just like me. it is hard starting over but i think we will be fine.

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Love and Blessings Dear Friend, V.