Sunday, January 1, 2012
A New Day, Beginning, Year...
A certain day became a presence to me;
there it was, confronting me - a sky, air, light:
a being. And before it started to descend
from the height of noon, it leaned over
and struck my shoulder as if with
the flat of a sword, granting me
honor and a task. The day's blow
rang out, metallic - or it was I, a bell awakened,
and what I heard was my whole self
saying and singing what I knew: I can.
This is an excerpt from the Book of Earth Prayers,
written by Denise Levertov...
And as I was contemplating my morning, my day,
it struck a chord deep within...that this could be
my mantra for the New Year. Shall it be?
Ahhhh...let it strike me then, this mantra for a
new day, new beginning, new year. Let me bring
honor to my days, my thoughts, my actions, my
kindnesses passed on, my compassion towards
others, for self. Let it ring in my ears with each
moment, this striking, so that I hear it loud and
clear, much like the bell I used those last few
minutes before midnight last night, as I rang out
the old to bring in the new...as I walked the
corners of my abode, sending out old energy, the
opening of the door to release it to the winds...
and then ahhhh...welcoming in the new energy,
embracing it like an old friend, or a comfortable
old shirt. I will wear this old shirt, hold this old
friend then and hear the striking with a smile,
a pleasure, a passion...so that it radiates outwardly.
A bell awakened. This must be what serenity is.
I wish for you the breath of new beginnings, new days
filled with The Great Mystery's Love, and so much light
it's brilliance astounds you!
WE CAN!
A'HO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I can ... a perfect mantra.
This is a beautiful post. Thank you.
Here's hoping for a magical and blessed New Year.
Many Blessings, V.
thank you, dear Akasa for visiting me and the beautiful reflection about starting over... I suppose we have that opportunity every single day when we awake, but on the first day of a brand new year, it seems especially poignant to reflect on new beginnings...a better life and kinder environment for all, especially the animal kingdom. That's always on top of my agenda. I saw a very interesting quote the other day that really struck home with me and that reads:
"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do." ~Edward Everett Hale
Happy New Year, my friend (((hugs)))
I am so happy to see you here sweet sister of mine.
As you know, I love the voice of Lisa Gerard and the words you share touch the center of my core.
Holding you close and wishing you and your family a wonderful new year filled with blessings and love.
With all my heart
hugs and love Sharon
xxxxxxx
Great mantra for the coming new year!
Happy New Year my Friend !!
Post a Comment