Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sharing



Sharing....

"A Joy shared is a Joy doubled."

For as far back as I can remember I was taught to share by my Mother and Elders.  Sharing is something which is ingrained into us from a very early age.
Sometimes it felt good to share with our peers and siblings and other times not so much.

I can remember having to share with younger sisters who did not value my things the same way that I valued them and it would cause me grief when something got broken or used in such a way that would leave me in distress.
I think we do our children a disservice by asking them to share their belongings in this way.  I know...you are thinking maybe I am way off in left field here but hear me out for a minute.

Sharing should come from a joyful heart, shouldn't it?  Then maybe the way we were taught is not exactly the way we should/could go....maybe the way is teaching them what sharing stands for and in that teaching include a little paraphrasing that while we may share our things we do have some things that are sacred to us alone and we don't have to share those things.

This was proven to me once again when I had my first grandchild.  It was his first birthday and we had invited family and little cousins along with some of our friends children over to celebrate with us.  Firekeeper had gotten many nice gifts from his Momma and myself, along with gifts from the others.  You could definitely see his favorites among those items and when the other children started to play with them he became visibly upset.  Of course, me being me, explained to him that he needed to share with everyone.  My Daughter stopped me dead in my tracks.  'No, Mom!'  He doesn't want to share those toys yet...he hasn't had a chance to play with them yet, or even check them out!'  Well, children being children they all rip through the wrapping and set things off to the side and then they are off to see what the next gift holds.  I just kept quiet for a while watching the interplay.  Each time a child would take something which Firekeeper had just opened my Daughter would retrieve it nicely and take them back to the table where he was opening his gifts.  Finally all was said and done, he climbed down from his chair and began to play with some of the toys and he did include the other children, with many of the toys he had received.  Some of them though, he did not want the other children touching.  And I'm still watching...and remembering back to my own childhood of 'having' to share and remembering what it felt like to not have one single solitary thing to really call my own, and feeling resentful and angry because of what I'd been taught.  Back then we didn't brook an argument with our Elders...we just knew better.  I also watched my Daughter in pride. explain to the parents and children that some things were just for Firekeeper, that it was his birthday and she was going to honor that...and I remembered having taught her the same as I had been taught and feeling so deep inside that maybe, just maybe I had spurned in her those very same feelings I had felt, and my heart filled to overflowing with Love that this Daughter of mine understood this sharing process much more than I ever did. because I just took it verbatum...that's what I was taught dammit and that's the way it's going to be.  I had stuffed my feelings of anger and resentment, when all along I should have been flowing out from that place of intuition we all have, most especially as children.  It was a long time ago and my Mother lived a very troubled life, we didn't have much so it was her lesson, albeit a sideways lesson, that we needed to share no matter what.  She too was doing what she had been taught I'm sure.

Long story short in all of this, is that in Sharing, it must come from our heart.  If that process is removed or rerouted in any way it distorts the much bigger picture for us.  Even as children we can see the process, because believe me children are very intelligent and catch on quite quickly at what we teach them.
Children are filled with magic and dreams and very good intuition when it comes to their own spirits knowing, so who are we to tell them otherwise?

Merry Me quoted...'A Joy shared is a Joy doubled'...and wow is that ever true!
When I give something from my heart's knowing out of Joy for the person who is to receive it, it doubles back to me and blesses my heart to overflowing.
When I go to read on the many blogs I am connected to and interact with each one of You , the comments I leave are my sharings...and I mean with my whole spirit what I share with you...A Joy shared is a Joy doubled...so at this time of year, this Holy Season of Love, Joy and Gifting of the Spirit...I want to go back in time, and sit in the silence of Self, and lovingly take the higher road with my Sisters and tell them some things are just for me, but I'd love to share this with you, or I'd love to do that with you...I think if I do that and bring it forward to now, now that I'm all grown up and Love doing a give-a-way from my heart...it will make my Joy Double.

Just an aside...I grew up in a home of alcoholism, abuse, domestic violence, and much more.  If your ideas, or opinions are different than mine I value them too.  It is how I became the person I am today...by observing and listening to others around me, and at long last am pretty darned comfortable in my own skin.  That too, is a Joy doubled...because I could have gone the total opposite way and ended up like a lot of my family...broken and with no hope residing within.  I've learned we have to choose our battles in life, the ones that are most important to us and yet still learn and process.

So today...I give you in Sharing...My Love...as the Babe in the Manger taught so many...as did many other Ascended Masters.  Let's let the Christed Ones ring this message out loudly for all to hear...'A Joy Shared is a Joy doubled.'

All My Love in Sharing,





P.S.  Maybe I am assuming way too much here.
Maybe you were taught much differently than me,
and if so I do apologize...perhaps you can enlighten
me with how you were taught about sharing?

4 comments:

Merry ME said...

A,

Such a great message from a small word.

I'm smiling from the inside out to see how my little strips of paper are reaching out farther than I ever imagined. The chain will be as long and strong as each woman adds her link.

Bless you.

mxtodis123 said...

What a great post! I agree with everything you had to say. Sounds like you instilled your daughter with values, and that is so important in this world. You are such a wise woman.
Mary

the wild magnolia said...

You have shared a life story that will help others. I too, was taught to share everything, nothing could be held back.

How wonderful that your daughter realized this maxim and shared it with you and her son.

Showing that you share not only with others, but with yourself, and that it is okay to keep certain things sacred to yourself, is pretty heady stuff!

Giving with a joyful heart gives double joy. Shared joy, double joy. Great news for us all.

Great post! It did my heart good!

Blessings to you "truthful traveler", I am honored to know you! magnolia

AkasaWolfSong said...

Thank You Merry ME, Mary, and Magnolia for 'sharing' your heartsong with me...it is how I continue to be blessed in learning...from phenominal women like yourselves!

Bless-Bless!