Friday, November 19, 2010

Mourning Moon

















In Cherokee tradition, November is the
Trading Moon.  With all the harvest in
and food stuffs all stocked in their ideal
storage places, this is now the time before
the force of winter arrives upon us to go
visiting and exchange goods with one another
to see us through those long winter days and
nights.




To the Choctaw this is the Sassafrass Moon,
when the mitten-shaped leaves turn red and
orange and drop off, which is the prime time
for harvesting the roots that are used for
flavoring the beverages.





















The Dakota Sioux recognize this Moon
as 'When Horns Are Broken Off, and
refers to the broken antlers that occur
in fights when the bucks are looking
for their mates.

During November, Mother Earth goes into
dormancy...the plants wither and die back
and people and animals alike start to rely
more on foods they have stored and on
fat reserves.  A few large species of animals
have their mating season in late autumn
and/or early winter.  Now is the time to offer
suet balls, along with peanut butter mixed
with seed and dried fruit to other wildlife
that require high-nutrient food.

This marks the beginning of the going within
time of the year, where we become introspective.
It should also be a time of deep contemplation
on what we are thankful and grateful for and
work our daily magic and ritual to that end...as
in the giving to those less fortunate than we are.

I have several sets of antlers hanging in my home.
One was gifted to me by a Sundance Sister, whose
spirit name is Deer Woman in English, and one
that was gifted to me by a friend named John who
loved to walk the land each day and hunted for the
food he ate, never taking more than what he needed.
He has since crossed over the Rainbow Bridge but
his teachings to me have never been forgotten.

My gift to all of you this evening, is to sit in the
quiet with you wherever you are and offer up a
prayer of thanks for the connections we have made
with one another...they truly are Holy and I am
grateful and blessed.

Many Warm Wishes for this coming Season of
Love and Thanksgiving...

4 comments:

Mother Moon said...

I love the full moon in the colder months. They sky is so clear and crisp and it seems to make the moon so much more brillant. blessings

julie said...

My gift to all of you this evening, is to sit in the
quiet with you wherever you are and offer up a
prayer of thanks for the connections we have made
with one another...they truly are Holy and I am
grateful and blessed.

I will accept your gift...Thank you..
Many blessings to you beautiful spirit...You are such a blessing in my life...It seems it doesn't matter what you write, you soften my heart and bring tears...Thank you..
A peaceful time of thanksgiving to you too...xoxox
ps...is that your teepee?

AkasaWolfSong said...

After just reading your blog Janie I had to get up and go to my door and look up to the sky...Grandmother Moon hangs there so proud and bright with the clouds passing so quickly over her face and yet she just 'is.' I offered up an I love you for my Sisters just now so I hope you receive it...She is brilliant, brilliant for bringing all of Her wise women together...and I love them so...I have been through so much growth this year and this is just one more thing that moves me further.
Sweet Dreams!

AkasaWolfSong said...

Dear Julie...no, sadly it is not my tipi...one I found on photobucket and fell in love with straight away. If I had my druthers that is where I'd live, or in a kiva in the woods. Perhaps a longhouse like my Mohawk ancestors.

Thank You for your compassionate words Julie...I take them to my heart for safekeeping. However I am a mirror of the beautiful you that you see in me!

Sweet Dreams!