Monday, November 8, 2010

Grandma's Hands....


















Grandma's Hands...

Grandma's hands
clapped in church on Sunday morning
Grandma's hands
Played a tambourine so well
Grandma's hands
Used to issue out a warning
She'd say, "Billy don't you run so fast
Might fall on a piece of glass"
"Might be snakes there in that grass"
Grandma's hands

Grandma's hands
Soothed a local unwed mother
Grandma's hands
Used to ache sometimes and swell
Grandma's hands
Used to life her face and tell her,
"Baby, Grandma understands"
That you really love that man
Put yourself in Jesus hands"
Grandma's hands

Grandma's hands
Used to hand me piece of candy
Grandma's hands
Boy, they came in really handy
She'd say, "Matty don't you whip that boy
What do you want to spank him for?
He didn't drop no apple core"
But I don't have Grandma anymore

If I get to Heaven I'll look for
Grandma's hands.


My own Grandmother's hands were filled with such character and personality...to this day I remember them well.  I can see them making bread and pies, fixing the worn garments to make do, washing the laundry in the old wringer washers, and hanging the clothes up to dry with all the clothes in a particular order, I see them washing out the dishrag and hanging it over the sink to dry when all had been washed and wiped down.  I see them smoothing and soothing the brow of my cousins, siblings, their own dear sons and daughters when we were sick or just needed Grandma to make things alright...
We owe our lives to the Grandmothers...not just ours, but all Grandmothers everywhere who paved the way for us.  They never complained of the hard work that had to be done and did not rest when the day was done, and as I contemplate The Old One, Grandmother Moon, I know intuitively She has always been there soothing our spirits and souls, our psyche, our body, and picking us up to hold us in her lap....She moves me beyond myself and into the lives of my own children and grandchildren as well as to those who need Grandma's Hands.  So take some time today and remember your Grandmothers...pay them homage...and then send off sweet spirit calls to the Old One, Grandmother Moon and let Her know how much you love Her and Honor Her in your life?  And if you feel so moved to be led in prayer, and light a candle I'd ask that each of you pray for the work of the 13 Indigenous Grandmothers who are working so hard world wide to bring back the Sacred Teachings and the Healing of Water on our Planet.

I wish for you all a day of softly speaking to your Wise Ones be they here or across the Rainbow Bridge....

A'HO!

P.S.  Look at your own hands to see how they resemble your own Grandmother's....I have my Paternal Grandma's hands...proud German hands, big and strong yet full of gentleness.  They serve me well.  And tell me all about it?

2 comments:

mxtodis123 said...

That was so beautiful. Just look at those hands. They tell the story of a lifetime.
Mary

JoyceAnn said...

Love the new blog and this post about Grandma's hand is wonderful. I'm not sure which Grandmother's hands I have , but I know they been formed by both. My maternal Grandma was a great cook , she loved having the family together and feeding everyone. My paternal Grandma was a loner , she enjoyed being in her strawberry patch and tending her animals. I think I'm like both in those ways , it's amazing that you start to see these things as you get older and wiser.

~ Be Blessed ~